Friday, January 2, 2009

I Did That in the Wrong Order

Post #2 was going to explain the whys and the wherefores of my little adventure, and #3 was going to explain about the gnomes. Oh well; occupational hazard.

So, why I'm going in May:

Essentially, because my lease is up in May. I LOVE my apartment. I'm going to be absolutely heartbroken to give it up, but I don't want to live in this tiny afterthought of a town for the rest of my life. For the people who were born here, getting out is a badge of honour. There is an entire Facebook group devoted to the people who have escaped. It's hard to live here and not want to leave.

Why I'm going at all:

Actually, it's kind of hard to articulate. Beacuse I want to. Because I don't want to look back at my twenties and think: I got an apartment, I lived there, got a job, went on a couple of vacations, then I was thirty. Actually, there's no part of my life I want to sound that boring when I'm retelling it, or be that boring while I'm living it. Because I grew up watching movies like Indianna Jones and Batman and The Neverending Story. Because I want to live in a world where adventures are real, not something you see in movies or read about in books. Because I want to be interesting, not just to other people, but to myself.

So, there you have it, why I plan venture, jobless and homeless into the world, and why I'm more excited about the prospect than I have been about pretty much anything I've ever done.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment